Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December 7th, Memorable for Another Reason


Monday, December 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM, my lovable old Labrador woke me up, wanting to go outside.  Usually, he only does this if he is sick, or I don't get a chance to walk with him before I go to bed, and is in desperate need of a potty break.  This time, he just stood there in the back yard and watched and listened to the brisk wind.

We went back to bed, but he stirred again a few minutes later and started panting; a sure sign he is upset about something.  Once more we went out into the back yard, once more he did nothing other than stand and listen, and once more I convinced him to go back to bed.  The wind seemed much stronger.

Fifteen minutes later, at about 11:20, I awoke to the wind howling around the house.  My Lab was in his bed, but his eyes were open and he raised his head and looked at me when I got up and looked out the bedroom window.  The trees seemed to be squirming around in the air and there was a good, driving rain.

I got up and had the dog follow me out to the entertainment room.  It was so noisy, it sounded like the room was traveling on a freight train.  I made a cup of tea and sat with my Lab until things quieted down about an hour later.

The streets have been a mess and I have been unable to commute for the last two days, even though it only rained Monday night.  It was the most violent storm I can remember in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment